View Single Post
Old
07-10-2013, 08:22 PM
BigDaddyLurch
#Habs-R-FUBAR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
I think you are misunderstanding the 5 year plan. Gainey preached it yet after a few years blew up the core and traded young, highly touted talent, for a diminishing return. In fact until the end so did Gauther (Gomez, Lang, Moore, Wiz, etc). We lost our biggest strength (prospects) and the franchise was put in a state of mediocrity.

Trading more young talent for a young core is falling in the same trap, we simply don't have the team or prospect pool yet to risk it. Bergevin is being incredibly smart despite the senseless fan outrage (at least on these boards) because he told us upfront what he is going to do. He won't lose talent for nothing and he will build a perennial cup contender through the draft and proper development. I don't view it as a shock that many of our prospects took a huge leap this year and will continue to next year and the year after.

I think everyone needs to temper their inner want for a major trade (I have it to) and realize that Bergevin is trying to create a team that makes the playoffs and competes versus selling assets for a few years of semi-better play only to set the franchise back even further.
Agree wholeheartedly with everything you said...however, trading David Desharnais, who has no long-term place in this line-up with Galchenyuk & Eller our future top 2 centres, doesn't harm anything...in fact, it helps...