View Single Post
Old
07-10-2013, 11:29 PM
JonQuixote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
Are people upset because they wanted to see Paajarvi grow with the team... or are they upset because they felt he could bring in more in return, whatever 'more' might have been?
I wouldn't say I'm upset, but I'd agree with both of those statements a little bit.

I think Magnus was written off a bit and this trade has a good chance of looking really, really bad in a couple years. At 22, Loui Eriksson was a 30 point player. At 22, the Sedins were 30-40 point players. I wouldn't draw a straight-line between those players and Paajarvi, but I also wouldn't write him off in the way others do. The only fact is that Paajarvi was developing, and at a rate not dissimilar to players with his background who went on to become superstars.

That he went for a very good player softens the blow a bit. However, that the Oilers had to add a significant piece - and a 2nd round pick is a significant piece for this team at this point - is troubling. I think it's likely that Paajarvi closes the offense gap a bit between him and Perron, and I think it's likely that he produces at a better points-per-salary dollar rate as soon as this season. I don't think the difference in player value is equivalent to a 2nd round pick.

I'm not upset by this trade, but I think the Oilers were:
a) impatient, which is not a good thing no matter how much that bluster might sound good on the radio, and;
b) got squeezed a bit in the brass-tacks negotiation.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote