View Single Post
Old
07-10-2013, 11:05 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
I could care less about that 2nd rounder at this point. We have been stockpiling prospects with high picks for the past 5 years. At this point, the fans should want to start wanting to see wins now, not worrying about not having a 2nd round pick.
The point is that the 2nd round pick probably didn't need to be a part of the deal at all. And a 2nd round pick holds significant value whether or not you end up using it on draft day.

Perron is a better player than Paajarvi, but he will likely be $2M+ more expensive over the next few years. Is he $2M+ more valuable? It's debatable, but what isn't is that an additional $2M in cap space (especially for a team as close to the cap as the Blues are/were) should carry a fair amount of value when it comes to trades in a cap league.

I still like the trade, and I'm ok with overpaying a little to improve the team, but that doesn't mean the overpay doesn't exist.

It was never the point I was trying to make, but I'd also argue that our prospect pool isn't nearly as deep as you seem to be suggesting, and a 2nd round pick definitely isn't something I'd give up for no reason.