View Single Post
Old
07-11-2013, 09:24 AM
JoeFlyer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The problem with the Timonen salary is that it is all but earmarked for new contracts for Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, etc. Giroux's new deal eats up $4.5 mil. Thus, there's a measly $1.5 million to go to the others owed raises. Plus, Holmgren will be in the market for 2 goaltenders, either resigning one or both of the current tandem and filling the empty position(s). I doubt Mason or Emery will agree to an equally cap-friendly deal if they make a case for sticking with the Flyers.

This all but guarantees that Timonen can't come back, unless he takes a ridiculously large cut in pay. Yes, Meszaros will be gone, too, which will give (hopefully) some breathing room now, but serious cap room needs to be banked for next season.
The cap is probably going to go up a little too, while I doubt it alleviates the whole problem it should give a little more breathing room...

This is entirely hypothetical but I think we would be able to do something like this: If we dumped Mez now and signed a winger (or whatever) we could be banking $1m of cap til trade deadline, then try and do something like trading for Phanuef for Grossmann and it should roughly fit. That said if we're banking that much cap we wouldn't have LTIR’d Pronger so (I think) we could acquire Phanuef and LTIR Pronger and fit him under cap with a combination of banked cap and Prongers LTIR.

Banking cap now would be good essentially

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote