View Single Post
Old
07-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I can indeed agree with you here on many of your points, Holden. With a chance comes opportunity but also with an opportunity comes a chance. Perhaps you are right and that is all Kulda needs, much like we gave Redmond and Postma this season.

I still have my doubts about Kulda, but I wouldn't be upset if he was given a chance by any means. We'll see. Not counting him out completely, I just think he needs to show something here at some point to open the eyes of management so they give him a chance. Step up and make a nice hard hit along the boards/at the blueline a few times. If it were me, there comes a time when just being average and 'safe' may not be good enough to get recognized, so you gotta step up and do something to catch the eyes of the people watching you. Make them notice you, demand they look at you.
However that often goes completely against what makes him so valuable. If needs to take himself out of position to make the big hit, to change his smart safe game to suit the Jets for a one time big hit that might backfire horrible (what people get on Stuart for for example) that is the fault in the coaching and scouting staff, not the player, IMO. People VASTLY undervalue to smart safe reliable first pass, positional board battling player until they are a marque name (ie Scuderi), IMO. This is a league wide phenomenon though, so I don't completely fault Jets management.

This is a systemic failure. One that somebody will eventually utilize to their advantage, much like the Oakland A's utilized unconventional players to their advantage. Somebody someday will realize that skating is by FAR the most overrated playing skill (not including size and bloodlines since those are not playing skills) and take advantage of this. I hope it's the Jets.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote