View Single Post
Old
07-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
From a technical standpoint, this will be the worst article I will ever write. I got caught between a more rigid, news-y format and a good old fashioned ramble, and that accounts for most of the stylistic mediocrity (or worse, I'm looking at you, "without further ado"). The typos and such are inexcusable as well.

As for the central holding of the article, I completely disagree that I "don't understand Trotz system" or what the Predators sought to do in free agency. They spent market value or greater on four guys who top out as third liners, all of whom played in sheltered roles last season. The biggest thing those players bring to the table right now is that they're legitimate NHL bodies in lineup spots where waiver wire claims and future considerations were playing in 12-13. That's great, but if filling out the lineup is your #1 goal, why pay the premium Nashville did? They could've waited for the market to shake out a bit and gotten someone like Mason Raymond (with an eerily similar skillset and splits to Stalberg and more defensive value) on the cheap, rather than pay Stalberg 12 mil because he was one of the three least important forwards on a Cup team.

Assuming that most UFAs would sign for comparable money/term in Nashville, I would have given Stalberg and Cullen's money to Filppula, who is basically a younger, strictly better Cullen. From there, I would have given say, $4/2 to Raymond ($7 million in cap spent so far) and then signed say Chad Larose or Chuck Kobasew to a cheap deal (5-800k) as veteran depth on the fourth line. If locker room chemistry was such an issue, I'd be in on that Parros trade as well, especially because he wouldn't be the first enforcer to revitalize himself in the Music City. I could also sign one of Hendricks/Nystrom (I much prefer Hendricks) to round out the group, and still spend less than Poile did on the day.

Filppula (25/5)
Raymond (4/2)
Vet (800k/1)
Hendricks (7.4/4)
Parros (937k/1)

~10.6 in cap space
That package has the best player (Flip) while checking all the same boxes Nashville's actual UFA shopping list did, for cheaper.
Does that get us bigger in the Top 6 ? ... and I hate to say that ... but you're right that is a much cheaper avenue, I'm wondering what's on the move & for whom in the trade market, I just don't see this team as is at the beginning of the season... good job on the article, even if it's harsh and we don't like it ... this kind of article has been parroted when Nashville went banana sandwich in the Free Agent market on the 5th by many national writers (Lozo in particular)

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote