Thread: Power centers
View Single Post
Old
07-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Blue Seat Spartan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
1, have to give to get, was willing to gamble McD --- a painful sacrifice --- on thought he might evolve into Tavares/+, but Col said no. Like you say, they don't grow on trees.

2 I am not optimistic Richards returns to good enough form. Whatever he provides is outside the scope of our regular C corp. Worst case scenario, forced to bury him at AHL til amnesty kicks in again.

Barring trade/injury:
1c Stepan modest, continued improvement
2c Brassard modest continued improvement
3c(a) Miller big improvement, better system, speedy Ws.
3c(b)Lindberg has skills to be here as rookie eventually bumps Miller to LW unless there is a trade
4 Moore established defensive C

5 Boyle is the variable/depth/injury insurance if one is out. Unless he is traded.
I have to agree with you on trading a D-man if the Rangers need to find THAT franchise player for the first line center position. I did forget the important variable that is Brad Richards - a very big "IF - to return to training camp in the best possible condition. He might very well have a precipitous decline like previous free agent acquisitions, in which case we'd have depth but no top end linchpin for our offense.

Inevitably the Rangers WILL HAVE TO part with one of their left-handed defensemen. I'd see it as a toss-up between McDonagh and Del Zotto of who gets sent packing in a trade for a 1C. MDZ seems to be the odd man out in our defense corps. Unlike Mac Truck or John Moore, MDZ has only above average skating ability and speed which would hamper the overall mobility of the pairings. This, combined with his acute brain farts on the ice during games would adversely affect the Rangers' breakouts in spite of his supposedly superb outlet passes to initiate the attack.

I find McD as more appealing to keep because he has such great skating ability to join the rush, pinch, or get back into defensive posture in case of breakdowns. Plus, he has more potential to generate offense. I'd like to see the coaching staff (Ulfie, Arniel, and maybe Newell Brown) work with Mac Truck & Moore on initiating rushes up the ice. While MDZ is our best puck-moving defenseman at the moment, McD has the greater potential to be a PUCK-RUSHING-DEFENSEMAN that hasn't been seen since the days of Leetch, Coffey, or Ozolinsh during the mid 1990s; one who can start rushes up the ice and finish them with a goal. Maybe Sather wakes up and realizes he could have an Edmonton-style of rush/transition/forecheck game for the new millennium +decade NHL.

That's why I'm leaning on Del Zotto as trade bait for a top line power center since we have a glut of left-landed left side defensemen. But who is the best power center at the moment? I'd like to say it's Ryan Getzlaf in ANH, but I'm not sure if the Ducks will bite on a trade - unless, the Rangers throw a first round draft pick into the package.

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote