View Single Post
Old
07-12-2013, 06:01 AM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
I think Oiler fans under-rate Petry more than any other fanbase. It's hilarious how much hate he gets on HF OIl - doubt about his first-pairing pedigree, his ability to be a key part of this team's top-4 heading forward, etc.

There was a recent thread about "the most underrated D-Men" in the NHL - and countless WC fans had Petry in their top-5. It's not hard to recognize the yeomen-type work that man has to do with Smid as a partner.

Smid is a great defensive defenseman, but his play with the puck is almost Staios-level bad. All of the pressure on that pairing is on Petry to get the transition started and the puck moving - and he had to do it against the toughest competition.

He played the toughest minutes, with the least transition-capable partner, and stil managed to come out +1 on this god-awful team.

But he's not a top pairing defenseman...?

I cross my fingers hoping that Klefbom turns into that OEL/Brodin type defenseman, just so he can have a suitable partner in Petry to shine with.
You must not have been looking over the trade board the last couple of years, many non Oilers fans don't think much of Petry at all.