Thread: GDT: FA/Trade Talk
View Single Post
Old
07-12-2013, 08:30 AM
alexmanu

vCash: 500
I'm still worried we don't have that one elite scorer. Most teams in the league have an elite offensive player. I mean just go down the list:

Anaheim - Perry/Getzlaf
Bruins - Eriksson
Sabres - Vanek
Flames - ?
Canes - Eric Staal
Blackhawks - Kane/Toews/Hossa
Avs - Duchene
CBJ - Gaborik
Stars - Benn
Detroit - Datsyuk/Zetterberg
Oilers - Eberle
Panthers - ? (Huberdeau in future)
Kings - Kopitar
Wild - Parise
Canadiens - Pacioretty/Plekanec
Nashville - ?
Devils - Elias (Did have Kovalchuk this past season)
Islanders - Tavares
Rangers - Stepan/Nash/Richards
Senators - Spezza
Flyers - Giroux
Coyotes - ?
Pens - Crosby/Malkin/Neal
Sharks - Thornton/Couture
Blues - ? (Tarasenko in future)
TB - Stamkos
Leafs - Kessel
Canucks - Sedins
Caps - Ovechkin
Jets - ?

So we are maybe in a select few of 5 or 6 teams in the league that do not have an elite offensive player. A common theme with all of those teams other than maybe the Preds, Coyotes and Blues is that they do not have playoff success or even reach the playoffs. The reason Preds, Coyotes and Blues do is because of our defence and goaltending. But that doesn't get you far enough in the playoffs. If you hope to win the cup then you need one or two elite offensive players on your team.

Vanek is certainly an option, but he will only be a rental and I would be hesitant to give up assets for such a player. Especially after bad past experiences with the likes of AK46 and Gaustad.

It seems as though Poile is going back to the 'score by committee' approach. Which could certainly get us to the playoffs, maybe even past the first round, but it won't win us the cup. For Poile's sake he has to hope Wilson or Forsberg turn elite pretty soon.

Last edited by alexmanu: 07-12-2013 at 08:40 AM.