View Single Post
Old
07-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
In this instance, I'll credit DD for staying with the play after it went sideways and battling back. And then I'd tie him to the post with a one-foot bungee cord.
lol, thanks for that. Battling is a fair point.

Quote:
Hmm yes, it's just a shame there's no way to measure how effective a goalie is. Like something looks at how many saves he make compared to how many shots he faces. Someone should really come up with a way to measure that. Oh well. Until then, I guess we'll have to rely on solid evidence like body language and our feelings.
Sorry, its an insufficient metric. You know that. It tells a limited story. Several other variables and factors are involved. Save percentage alone does not differentiate goalies.
For instance the Oilers give up a fair amount of shots shorthanded. But they have a reasonable pk and keep most plays to the outside. They tend to allow shots and in most instances (save for Smid) get out of screens way and allow a goalie a clear view.
Is this a good way to do it? Who knows? But it certainly results in more shots at net and more long shots at net.

Conversely a good club like the Blackhawks blocks everything, not even a question, block first strategy every shot from the point. They block everything. Completely different team strategies. Even this one variable could impact what stats look like. Countless variables like that exist in the complex game of hockey.

Comparing save % is apples to oranges and in a lot of cases arguably irrelevant. I certainly wouldn't base my opinion of a goalie on it.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote