View Single Post
Old
07-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Baggers

vCash: 500
I prefer to give MacT grades in categories as opposed to an overall grade.

Draft: A. Many might disagree with this grade, but I like to look at the draft as a whole. Due to Tambo's trade deadline incompetence, the team was left with 1 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks, and no 3rd or 4th round picks (when Whitney/Hemsky/Khabibulin could probably have been dealt to stock the cupboard with picks). MacT didn't get bent over by Gillis (I would have given up on the Oilers permanently had they traded the 7th + Klefbom for Schneider) or any other GM, and in a deep draft he turned one 2nd round pick into a lot of extra picks. If there was a move to be made for the Oilers to move up into the top 5 (while giving up minimal assets) and MacT didn't take it, then I would downgrade this grade to a C, but from all accounts neither CAR nor NAS were moving their picks. For this I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Horcoff trade: B. If MacT is able to use the cap savings to sign an effective player, I will upgrade this to an A. The reason I have a B here is that as much as Horc has (somewhat deservedly) become a whipping boy around here, the team still has loads of cap space, and a C line-up of:

Nuge - Gagner - Horcoff/Gordon - Gordon/Horcoff

is vastly superior to a C line-up of

Nuge - Gagner - Gordon - Lander.

Free Agency: C. Gordon was a good pickup, but 90% of the posters here thought Belanger was a good pickup 2 years ago - same strengths, same system, same team - and Gordon is going to be given much more responsibility than Belanger ever was. Don't get me wrong, I think Gordon will be a better player, but he was also a less-than-stellar player in his time with Washington.

Joensuu and Belov are complete unknowns, and while I like the Ference acquisition, I also think that he might be a letdown having to play too many minutes on a team with a weak defensive core. I also don't have faith in LaBarbera as a backup if Dubnyk goes down for any length of time.

The fact that this team still has massive holes while free agency fixes were/are out there, combined with the fact that the team has salary cap space makes this grade a C at best.

Perron trade: B+. I will preface this by saying that I will not give any trade that isn't a clear win for the Oilers anything more than a B+, but this is (IMO) a proper hockey trade. STL gets cap space and a young winger with size, speed, and a great work ethic. The Oilers get a legitimate top 6 winger that goes to the net and has skill. I think this may be the kind of trade where both teams win.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote