View Single Post
Old
07-12-2013, 01:56 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

vCash: 500
Honestly the gap between most of the "average" dmen isn't enormous.

I'd agree that Ference and Coburn are probably very close to equal in terms of impact on the roster even though they bring different skillsets... if you pull out Smid and put in Coburn would there be a significant improvement? Not hugely so imo.

Same goes for pulling out N Schultz... I think he's probably getting to the point of almost being underrated now because he was underwater last year on a crap team playing with a rookie dman trying to work out his NHL game. If you pulled out N Schultz and put a guy like Hainsey in that same spot... I think the improvement would be very marginal at best.

With many of these 4,5,6 type dmen there isn't going to be a huge difference in performance... the biggest differences are often the intangibles and character they bring and how they get along with the rest of their teammates.

The only really huge differences in the roster are going to be when you acquire a top 2 type dman who steps in and can make a huge difference... unfortunately they aren't easily attainable (and they often want to leave even when they are here) so yes the Oilers have to hope they can develop those top pairing dmen within the org.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote