View Single Post
Old
07-12-2013, 03:13 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Well, I certainly hope you're right, but I read the tea leaves quite differently. Smyth is coming back, as is Gagner. After Gordon was signed MacT was asked if he needed another center, and he said he was comfortable with what they had now. Jones was re-signed. Joensuu, from what I gather, was brought in to play for the big team, not OKC. Brown will be back. Eager is going to get another chance. They have 9 Dmen signed when you include Larsen, Potter, and Klefbom. I think 7 will stay, with 2 of the 3 I just listed going down to OKC.

As for the comment about being open for business, listen to the audio of it. Stauffer asks MacT if he's done for the summer or if there's more trades coming and, after a bit of an awkward pause, MacT finally says he's open 24/7 to do anything that will improve the team. That doesn't sound like someone who's actively perusing deals to me. It sounds like someone who is basically done but obviously would never close the door if someone came calling. MacT said he wanted to move Hemsky and I don't doubt that continue on that front, but otherwise I think he's done making roster moves. And if nothing good comes from the Hemsky offers, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back next year either.

That's just my take on things. Obviously, there can be more than one interpretation here.
That's pretty much my take as well.

I think there could be a deal that opens up though as teams shuffle their rosters and certain players would become waiver eligible.

Hopefully the Oilers can take advantage of those opportunities to improve their bottom 6... because I'm with others in saying it doesn't look too hot as it stands.