View Single Post
Old
07-12-2013, 02:57 PM
bucks_oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
.920 sv% is pretty effective wouldn't you say?

what does it matter how the puck gets stopped? one of the greatest goalies to ever play the game, dominic hasek, played an extremely desperate style of goaltending, but it worked for him.

it's like critisizing smyth back in his heyday for only scoring garbage goals, saying he should have more scored in a more routine fashion ie, one-timers, cross-crease passes or hard-wristers from the slot.

it matters not how the goals went in as long as they went in, the same is true for dubnyk in stopping the puck.

a .920 sv% while facing the second most shots in the NHL, with arguably the worst defense in the NHL in front of him, says he is stopping the puck, no matter how much you think he's stopping the puck the "wrong way"
Look... Hasek is my fave goalie of all time. But what you need to realize is that despite what he looked like he was not in "desperation mode". The guy thought like a hockey puck. Most goalies are taught either to i) be in solid position covering as much net and letting the reflexes to the rest, or if their coach was a little more enlightened to ii) cut down angles so the shooter sees less of the net.

Hasek didn't care what the shooter could see. He cared *what the puck could see*.
Classic example: Standard hybrid style = slide across the net with pad out and glove above pad... on one knee with body upright.
Hasek style (now adopted/adapted by many) = slide accross with your leg extended, but deliberately fall forward with your upper body... get your glove as close to the puck as possible.
WHY? The player can now see way more of the net, but the puck can only go two places, along the ice into the pad or into his glove.

My point, if I am making one, is that Hasak was a master of angles, a master of anticipation and a visionary in the way that he viewed the probabilities of making a save.

In contrast, Cujo, at that same time was a desperation goalie because his timing and angles were poor (but his anticipation and reflexes covered for it). If the puck was passed quickly to the left side of the net, you could almost be 100% sure that Cujo would overcommit, get himself leaning way onto his left and the puck would go low stickside on the right. (I'm sure many would remember the Cujo "lean")

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote