View Single Post
Old
07-12-2013, 04:10 PM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
Honestly, the more I think about this, the more I'm thinking this whole thing is a mutual agreement betweeen the Devils and Kovalchuk.

I know reports and whatnot labeled Kovy as kinda a dick, but for him to wait until after the draft AND free agency, that is a complete dick move. I'm starting to think this was in discussion for a very long time.

Lamoriello had two major issues to contend with.. (1) Broduer needs a replacement close to immediately and (2) what to do with Clarkson, who would cost a lot to resign, especially with such a small timeframe of putting up the stats that set his price so high.

Had Kovy's retirement announcement come out prior to the draft, there would be way too much pressure on Lamoriello and the Devils organization to use the pick instead of trading for Broduer's replacement. Had the announcement come out before free agency, there would have been a lot of pressure to resign Clarkson, and if at a price similar to what Toronto gave him, a big mistake.

Now, the Devils have a built-in scapegoat for a few seasons that could see them as basement dwellers (could is the key word... who knows). All of the hate is on Kovy.

Let's not forget, their cap penalty will only be $250k, instead of around $2M, had he decided to retire a few years down the road (or $4.6M to retire 6 years down the road).

I strongly believe that you are right, I also believe that they vetted NHL offices prior to the decision- TSN published Bill Daly's response/ cap penalty calculations along with announcement about Kovy retirement.