View Single Post
Old
07-12-2013, 05:09 PM
blackwater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
Look... Hasek is my fave goalie of all time. But what you need to realize is that despite what he looked like he was not in "desperation mode". The guy thought like a hockey puck. Most goalies are taught either to i) be in solid position covering as much net and letting the reflexes to the rest, or if their coach was a little more enlightened to ii) cut down angles so the shooter sees less of the net.

Hasek didn't care what the shooter could see. He cared *what the puck could see*.
Classic example: Standard hybrid style = slide across the net with pad out and glove above pad... on one knee with body upright.
Hasek style (now adopted/adapted by many) = slide accross with your leg extended, but deliberately fall forward with your upper body... get your glove as close to the puck as possible.
WHY? The player can now see way more of the net, but the puck can only go two places, along the ice into the pad or into his glove.

My point, if I am making one, is that Hasak was a master of angles, a master of anticipation and a visionary in the way that he viewed the probabilities of making a save.

In contrast, Cujo, at that same time was a desperation goalie because his timing and angles were poor (but his anticipation and reflexes covered for it). If the puck was passed quickly to the left side of the net, you could almost be 100% sure that Cujo would overcommit, get himself leaning way onto his left and the puck would go low stickside on the right. (I'm sure many would remember the Cujo "lean")
i understand what your getting at that style and positioning are big indicators of a goalies play, but what i'm getting at is dubnyk, for all his faults, stopped the vast majority of pucks that came his way. now, what i'm also saying is that i could not care less how those shots were stopped just that they were. dubnyk could do it standing on his head wearing a dress for all i care.

the problem was that dubnyk was forced to make way too many unneccesary saves last season, and that was a product of extremely ineffectual defense in front of him. that is by far a much bigger issue with this team than goaltending. dubnyk played outstanding last season relative to the defense he had playing in front of him, and he should be given every opportunity to repeat that this season with a (hopefully) much better defense in front of him.

blackwater is offline   Reply With Quote