View Single Post
Old
07-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Tbh, Tambo did try to make deals, he just took the wrong ones every time. We traded Visnovsky for Whitney, who was an absolute dud for us (although it actually looked good until Whitney's ankle died). We could've had Voynov/1st for Hemsky, but instead got Teubert/1st for Penner (this one pisses me off to no end, we've been trying to replace Penner since the day he left, Teubert was garbage, and Hemsky has hurt the team just by being on it). The biggest problem though was that Tambo was too afraid to overpay anyone, and usually ended up with the scraps like Eager/Foster/Hordichuk.
I'll weigh in the Tambellini trades, because while he struck out in some cases, injury played a notable factor (Eager, Whitney). The Oilers ultimately lost the Vishnovsky trade because of injury, but Whitney was a veritable force on the blueline when healthy. The ankle injury was really unfortunate for the player and the team.

I disagree on the Penner trade, as I think that Klefbom is a decent return on Penner imo. The Oilers don't need veteran players in the line up who don't compete on a nightly basis. Penner is merely a luxury for teams with enough talent to get into the playoffs without him busting his hump during the regular season. The Oilers are not that team.

Eager and Hordichuk were efforts to increase toughness in a line up almost completely lacking such players. Eager is a tough guy with some hockey skill sidelined from effectiveness by head injury, and Hordichuk was a one-dimensional player who never backed up from anyone but was not an NHL player. The Foster signing was a gamble after his having a 42 point season, a great offensive season for a defenseman. Unfortunately it is likely to be the height of his career.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote