Thread: Confirmed with Link: Erik Condra Re-Signs [2 Years, 1.25M AAV]
View Single Post
Old
07-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
See, this is a valid position and a possibly strong rebuttal to my argument. Thank you for creating a logical argument rather than simply stating your opinion as a refutation to my position.

I think the two debatable areas of my position are whether our prospects are developed enough to take on a full time bottom six role and whether Condra can improve his game by a significant margin.

I personally am not fully convinced that Condra has much room to grow. Yes he is only entering his third full season in the NHL, but at his age can he really make anything more than a marginal improvement? It is pretty rare to find players around his age make any drastic improvements in play throughout their careers. If Condra was 22 or 23 then I believe that this would be a much stronger position.

If Condra can only make marginal improvements in his game and some or many of our prospects make large improvements, then Condra could be moved as soon as this season. I think the two players that are most likely to push Condra out of a roster spot are Mark Stone and Curtis Lazar. Both players are strong defensively, above average penalty killers and can be effective in both a top six or bottom six role. If either makes the team, then they will likely push Neil down to the 4th line RW spot and push Condra out of a RW spot. In that case Condra will be pushed to LW where he will likely be competing with Conacher and Greening. I think Condra would have a difficult time out competing either player for a roster spot.
I actually agree with you. Except having Condra signed does not worry me. If truly Erik Condra is our 13th best forward and everyone is healthy and he is scratched, I will be such a happy Sens fan because it will mean we have an amazing top 12. It could happen too. If it does I would still keep Condra until the end of the season anyway. You will have injuries and Condra is a proven effective 12-14 min NHL winger.

Condra and Greening earned their spots beside Spezza at the end of 10/11. Only 1 game missed between the two since then. Greening a healthy scratch one game when Maclean sent him a message to play smarter. Those are earned spots. Pageau earned his spot. 2 years we wanted another centre. We got him. He literally earned his spot every game and every shift. Condra and Greening have done it every day since they joined the lineup. We have all seen the useless Colin Forbes, Brandon Bochenski, Stephan Da Costa etc players that have come through Ottawa (and all 29 other teams). Condra is definitely NOT one of those guys. His contract is fine. He will be in the NHL 5 years from now somewhere, playing 12-15 mins a night. In my opinion. So will Greening and Pageau and Smith. They are not risky signings. They are NHLers. If they get pushed out of our lineup it will be because we have a SICK team.... Or they sign expensive contracts. $1.2 M $1.877M... Not expensive or a problem. I would LOVE for Condra to not be good enough to play in out top 12. That is not the case now. If he is not in our Top 12 I guarantee it is not because Condra declines or isn't playing well enough. It will be because someone comes along and plays like Silfverberg, Zibanejad or Pageau did last year. Not to save a couple of hundred thousand dollars in salary, but through sheer performance is the only way Condra should lose his spot. If we have 8 better wingers he is an excellent 13th forward. If he goes below 13th he is easily traded for a mid round pick. Many teams need a stabilizing reliable defensive winger who is a top PKer, is smart and works hard and can chip in 20 points. He could get a mid round pick.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote