View Single Post
Old
07-13-2013, 12:19 AM
oilerfan17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
You're probably right, but still, an 11th hour agreement isn't ideal. He wants to be an Oiler, but so did Ryan Smyth. Gagner still wants to get paid.

How long do we want to have a top six this small? One year? Ok, two years? I don't know.
Regardless of how you feel about Gagner, I can't see how anyone would want a deal any less than four years just from an asset management perspective.

I think it's a fairly safe bet to assume that Gagner is going to be a member of the team this year. That means that realistically the earliest that he would be traded is next summer. In order to get the most value out of Gagner in a trade, he would have to have at least two years left on his deal. Otherwise he's more or less a glorified rental. With that perspective, the absolute least amount of years that this deal should contain is three years, and even then, that would have to be with a set-in-stone plan to trade him next summer regardless of what is available on the trade market.

If you sign him for four or more years, however, you have the flexibility to both move him next year if the right deal comes along or keep him longer and still be able to deal him at a later date without sacrificing his value. Obviously this all depends on getting him locked up to a reasonable dollar amount, but to coin a Lowetide expression, any number starting in the fours would certainly be that. Ideally this contract would be for 4-5 years, and I think that holds regardless of how long you want to keep him.