Thread: KHL= New WHA?
View Single Post
Old
07-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
I'd guess that the KHL is gambling on the hope that none of the players on their EU-based teams will challenge the draft or restricted free agency. Anyway, as vorky pointed out the draft and restricted free agency aren't fundamental to the way the KHL operates in the same way that they are for the NHL. The KHL draft is really only a compliment to the traditional hockey school-based developmental system.
Fair enough, I already understand the NHL expanding to Europe wouldn't be viable on a number of levels, of which the trading system is a huge component. Can't have players being traded from California to Slovakia, a lot of players would not like that (and vice versa from Europe to US or Canada). The draft system would have to be replaced by two different regional drafts at best and games would be difficult to schedule due to viewership and travel.

I just was curious why you alluded to that being the main reason the NHL couldn't handle it.

As far as I'm concerned, the KHL moving into Europe is no big deal. SHL and FEL will remain big in Scandinavian countries and I feel pretty confident that the improvements in the US developmental system will fill in some of the loss of Euro players. Some will still move to the NHL since it will remain the biggest league. But if the KHL did expand well enough, there would be the potential for a new 'Super Series' of sorts which would be very entertaining.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote