View Single Post
Old
07-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
Interesting parallel! I can sorta see it. But Salo was a very solid goaltender who we all witnessed lose his mental game (due it was speculated to losing his off ice mojo).

Where cujo was a riverboat gambler, Salo was (in those 2-3 seasons where he came into his own) much more consistent and efficient. Cujo was flashier but created more work for himself.

Anyway, back on topic. Dubnyk can be betters than Salo once he rounds off his game and finds his mental game (which is on the way IMO)
This one I disagree with. He's 26. This is what we got and the tendencies; losing concentration, losing his set position and standing up, and giving up bad goals where he is clearly not ready will continue. This is an aspect of his game that was being scouted and reported on since his Junior days.

My overall impression of Dubnyk is that this is a goalie that has recieved top notch instruction all his life and that he's a reasonable student. Thus him using the modified butterfly and having some very sound tecnnique. My concern is that his weakness has always been in situations where he needs to think the game instead of rely on rote mechanics and size. When he's forced into quick decision mode for instance whether to pursue a loose puck, where to play it, or one on one chess match he's outmatched.
Saw a game last year where Bertuzzi beat Dubnyk for fun. Got two goals by him but in neither was Dubs even close to making the stop. Bert just blew them by him. I do find that against the better goal scorers Dubs doesn't fare too well. I think he loses the battle of wits.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote