View Single Post
Old
07-13-2013, 03:06 PM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Well no, not everybody can just chip a puck past him and beat him. Let's stop exaggerating. He got caught a few times at the blue line, all he has to do is play more conservative and pick his moments better. Nothing to really cry over.
Markov is a smart player, he can adapt to this easily.

He is not a poor player, not at all. He lost a step and it felt like the game was going fast for him a bit, but I'm pretty sure anybody would lose a step after being away from their jobs for so long due to injuries.

But I have a very hard time understanding how anybody can be disappointed with Markov's season. After all the problems and time off he went through, he bounces back to finish 4th in NHL D scoring, 2nd in PP pts, 1st in PP goals. His puck moving skills are still very much alive, so is his vision and hockey IQ. What he seemed to lack was mobility and speed, two things that he can actually improve.
His position was pretty decent for the most part, he still won a good share of his battles down low.

One thing I might agree with though is that I don't think he can carry a partner like he did with Komi. He needs a reliable partner. Emelin often found himself on Markov's side due to him not used to play on the right side, which created a lot of confusion.

We can't forget that this was a comeback year for Markov, and that despite his age he'll likely be better next year after some rest and more training.

In no way is he a poor player, I don't understand how anybody can come to this conclusion.

In any event, we have nobody to replace his puck moving skills, especially on the PP. We need him re-signed, having him as a top 4 would be a luxury.
It seemed to happen at least once a game. He understands he has lost two steps, so he pinches in the offensive zone to cancel breakouts before they happen, because if he's caught flat footed, it's over. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. At least he's intelligent enough to know his deficiencies and try to work around them, I'll give him that.

I also noticed that every time an opposing player dumps the puck in the Habs end, it's Emelin that has to go chase it because they both know Markov will not reach it in time. He can be good at fighting for pucks with his stick, but he'll get outmuscled in the corner and in front of the net.

He did have a good season, offensively. But I found the Habs are rather poor in their own zone, often chasing pucks and looking lost. There's a serious lack of mobility on the backend, and I think it really hurts the team. I would personally go in another direction once his contract is up.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote