View Single Post
Old
07-13-2013, 06:47 PM
yianik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Well you have your options.

- Re-sign him to his final contract. The sensical thing.
- Trade him on Trade Deadline Day.
- Let him walk.

Main priority in this case is to start discussions and get a feel for what Markov is thinking. Does he still have gas left in the tank? Can he go another year or two, or three? Does he want to retire a Hab? If any of those questions receives a no, or any hesitation whatsoever, Bergevin should then look into trading him. On Trade Deadline, many teams will look to overpay, especially for a seasoned vet than can help them on the powerplay and that has a reputation for being generally good. The return would be something like a 1st round pick and a prospect. We've seen crazier trades before, so it's safe to assume that return would be reasonable. Maybe even more.

If he answers yes to all those questions, sign him up to his retirement contract, ride him out and let him leave hockey as a member of the Montreal Canadiens.
Yes he gets paid and pretty damn well, but he has been loyal to this team, loves it here and has been a bright light in many years of gloom. I know people will go on about getting rid of him to get something for the future, but I like the way you put it, see what he says and wants. Its being classy, and many teams have shown important players that class, the Habs are supposed to be one of the classiest organizations so I hope we do what you suggest.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote