View Single Post
Old
07-13-2013, 11:15 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
The idea that you can build a team that's "built for the playoffs" but isn't very good in regular season seems dumb. Isn't that what Toronto kept preaching as they went after old UFAs. They were built for the playoffs, and every year they would beat Ottawa in the 1st round and then go nowhere.
I never said that. Having a good team that raises its game in the playoffs is what I want. Not a good team who gets exposed in the playoffs, which is what we have.

I know the "moar size" thing is running rampant nowadays on here, but come on. Our team sucked in the POs because guys like Plek, Pac, DD, Price, Ryder pulled disappearing acts. Clear as day that we need a tougher defence to defend our net, but also more clutch scorers in front who know how to perform when the big meanies from the other team start pushing hard. With that in mind how can I be mad at landing Briere for 2 years for a mil less than Gionta?? 0.5M more than DD?! hahaha!
Quote:
Gionta had two seasons of of 46 points, an injury riddled season which he was below that pace and last year where he had a pro-rated 44 points. I just don't see the decline.
Gionta is the product of the centerman he plays with. He works hard, but he literally makes the players around him worse. That's my opinion, so there's really no need to continue debating things of this sort as we've both watched enough of him to have our own ideas. Agree to disagree.
Quote:
All the guys I listed can create using vision and skill. But if your offence is entirely built on vision and skill and lacks that crash the net ability you aren't going to go very far. You need a balance of both. Before Briere we needed more crash & bang, Briere simply makes it even more so.
Once again, agree to disagree. I think Plek, Patches and Gallagher are all better served as the finisher in a give and go, and aren't really creative playmaking-wise.
Quote:
Why is that? They have two elite players in Giroux and Voracek but we are much deeper. Maybe if Schenn and Couturier break out big time they'll be as deep as us but if we are playing the what if game then we have a couple players poised to take big steps as well.
Again, imo it isn't debatable. I think they have a top-5 forward crop in the league so, yah.
Quote:
Gallagher and Gionta are also really good in tight and in scrambles in front of the net. The problem is that in the playoffs defenceman are allowed to interfere and knock you down. That why's you need guys like Hartnell do go in and breakdown the defensive coverage in front of the net, then the small in tight players can swoop in and score.
Well that's it, Briere is just way better at navigating the tough areas in the POs. He is more talented and experienced in this regard. I'd much rather hope for a big goal from him in the playoffs, rather than a rookie, or Brian Gionta... or Morrow, or Pleks or pretty much anyone we have, really!