2014 Calder Trophy prediction
View Single Post
07-14-2013, 02:35 AM
johnny be good
Join Date: Aug 2007
Originally Posted by
It's a crowded field this year, that's for sure. Here's a few popular picks that are doubtful:
Seth Jones - very difficult for 19 y/o defenseman to learn the game and put up enough points to win the Calder. Very unlikely.
Jonathan Drouin - Classic case of too good for junior, not enough man-strength for the NHL. I hope they send him back.
Baertschi - Nothing against him, but he'll have no help. Really hard to succeed in that context. He might do as well as Huberdeau did, but the competition will be stiffer than last year.
Grigorenko - I don't see it. At all.
Brock Nelson - He'll be playing a third line role without significant PP time. He won't produce big numbers in that role.
Monahan - Flames fans dreaming.
Here's who I think the real contenders will be:
1. MacKinnon - has explosiveness and some help. Again, physically there. Of all the guys here, he can create most for himself.
2. Trouba - He's got a lot of help, which gives him more freedom. Physically there.
3. Strome - He still has a baby face, but he grew up a lot. Game is built to play left half boards on the PP opposite Tavares.
4. Pirri - Will be able to pad his assist total. Will he score goals?
5. Schiefele - He'll be skating with good players. Big help.
I don't know enough about Nicushkin, Barkov, or Lindholm to comment.
Overall, I like MacKinnon as the favorite.
Cammalleri, Glencross, Stempniak, and Backlund will also be in the top 6, as well as potentially Monahan. That's a pretty average offensive unit. 50+ points are realistic for Sven.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Walkingthroughforest