View Single Post
Old
07-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Mikos87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Not saying it hasn't happened yet--but my hazy brain does not remember Staal ever playing on the right side before. With his eye injury I think there is less likelihood as the injury was to his right eye and he'd be dealing with a bllind spot and on the wrong side where he'd be forced into using his backhand a lot more. It's almost like accentuating one handicap with another. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
I know he hasn't played the right side at the NHL level, and it was his right eye that took the hit. But by moving him to the right side, he has to see less and perceive less along side that wall, so he will have less ground, and ice to cover and make decisions on that side (much like how DZ plays the left).

It will be on Staal, to play off of his weak side, but he proven to be perfectly capable of playing with his back along the walls. I also think it will open him up offensively to take quick shots as he is skating in and not be the guy that has to lug the puck up the ice as much since the Rangers have McD, DZ, and Moore who are all better puck carriers than Staal.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote