View Single Post
Old
07-14-2013, 01:59 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I like Perron but I'm if the goal was to add more size and grit to the top 6 than he's only a marginal improvement there. Add to that the Oilers traded one of, if not their best bargaining chip to get Perron and you see why I have mixed emotions about this deal. Yes, they did get the better player in return, and in that context they won the deal, but in terms of the big picture I'm not sure it was the best course of action available.
Getting a player like Perron for MPS is good asset management... he's a clear upgrade at this stage. MPS was going to be in a top 6 LW role and it's hard to see how Perron wouldn't be better in that spot for the Oilers than Magnus.

I do see your point though... arguably a better trade "may" have been to use Magnus as part of a package to acquire a top 4 dman or a bigger C which would possibly allow Gagner to be dealt for another asset... maybe to then fill the hole on LW that would be left by trading Magnus.

Those are all theoreticals to some extent though... I don't doubt that MacT WAS on the line to every GM trying to make deals to fill other obvious holes... he even said that he'd basically made more calls to GM's that was probably even advisable.

I have no reason to believe that if there was indeed a better deal on the table for Magnus that would allow them to upgrade elsewhere... he would have done that deal... but this was a solid opportunity that the Blues offered. The Blues had to move a salary and body for cap reasons and MacT was there to take advantage of it. Solid trade and maybe all those calls and lines of communication he opened earlier did pay off.

My bet is there is more than a few GM's who would have loved Perron on their team and are seeing this trade as a clear win for MacT.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote