View Single Post
Old
07-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Everest

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Replacement;69210827]I'm curious about your take on this. We've had many discussions on the impacts of players missing out on development and for instance through injury and how hard it it is to come back from lost time.

imo Paajarvi was largely lost in space in 11-12 and for some reason it was like a missed year where he didn't progress. I think this has put him behind where he could be otherwise.

You think he will overcome this but I'm not so convinced. I'm also concerned that Paajarvi's peripheral and uncommitted play for a whole year was a reaction to getting his bell seriously rung a year earlier.

Tentative has no place in the NHL. Players that are become non players in a hurry.

Theres a substantial difference between these respective players tendency to go into the hard areas. Paajarvi has mad some adjustments in this still many games where he doesn't show in the paint.

QUOTE]

I think the bolded is a fair assessment. I am just not sure it is a fair reason to book this player out of town.

We had Cogliano here for a bit longer than Magnus and failed to get any progress from him in basically the exact same vein. Cogliano had world class speed...but...his "go-to" was the drop pass just inside the blue line.

And your right...if a fast skater lacks courage...his speed is somewhat easy to contain on scoring plays.

However...I also think speed is a vastly overrated asset for offence.

I think where speed/agility is MOST useful is on the defensive side of the game and this is where Magnus was most likely to shine. It was the same thing with Cogliano...whose only shortcoming as a defensive centre was an inability to win faceoffs.

Magnus might not have the flashy/sexy game expected from a high draft pick...but...he does have the makings of a very strong defensive winger. And it will probably be to his advantage if he continues to avoid collisions/contact at times...preferring to stay balanced on his feet instead.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote