Thread: News Article: (THW) Nashville's Free Agent Flops
View Single Post
Old
07-14-2013, 09:34 PM
RaiderDoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I'm not saying we shouldn't have signed the guys we did, I just wish the money was better spent on top 6 talent while adding some grit without the huge salaries. We could've signed 2 $5 million forwards and 2 $1 million grinders for basically what we paid 4 pretty average guys.
Who though?

The problem is the alternative wasn't that we picked Eric Nystrom over LeCavalier, or Briere, or any other top 6 guys.

The alternative to signing Nystrom/Hendricks/Stalberg was more Bobby Butler, more Chris Mueller, or whomever the AHL flavor of the day was.

Briere wasn't coming. LeCavalier wasn't coming. Ribiero went with his old coach. If you think the Nystrom contract was bad, we'd feel alot worse if we landed Horton for the contract CBJ gave him. Filppula? Roy? Ryder? All players with rich contracts with major flaws in their game. Will they be better than our guys? Time will tell.

This is a poor FA class, coupled with the fact that as a last place team in a non-hockey market with a reputation for being cheap, we're not exactly the most attractive destination for guys that had other options. I'm happy we actually did something for once. There's a chance Nystrom pots 16 like he did last full season, Hendricks contributes to 3-4 shootout wins, and Stalberg blossoms into 30G/60pt guy.

Or maybe they do nothing, which is exactly what we'd get out of spending no money, and/or the AAAA level known quantities like the scrubs. You can't hit a homerun if you don't swing the bat.

Personally, I'd rather see more of Eric Nystrom on a bad contract than Chris Mueller on any contract.

Last edited by RaiderDoug: 07-14-2013 at 09:42 PM.
RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote