View Single Post
Old
07-15-2013, 12:36 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Spot on and those are just some of the things to consider. Most every player who reaches the NHL has had at least a decade of training to get there. During that time span they have developed what coaches at every level call "positional awareness" and that is what people really mean when they say that a player has good "hockey I.Q.".

I mean I can't tell you how many times I have seen a guy get creamed with their heads down as a result of having lost their place on the ice. Add into that the player is now approaching their game from a completely different area and you increase the chances of that happening by an even greater number.

It is why DL covets Centers more than every other position (as do most GM's). Centers learn the game from the middle of the ice and out to each wing (offencively) and as a result have an easier time moving to either wing if there isn't a spot for them up the middle.

It is why Carter can be tried at either wing, the guy is a natural center and as a result has an easier time making the swap.

It can be done but not everyone can do it.
This is what makes a guy like Dustin Brown, who has played wing his entire career and can switch from RW to LW, and vice versa without much of a drop in his game, a valuable player.

If either Frattin or Pearson can show that they can create space for Richards and Carter, I can see one of them being on their LW. I won't be shocked to see some line juggling going on early in the season.