Thread: Murray
View Single Post
Old
10-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
davedave, I was just going to ask why Begin was getting a free pass ? Murray hasn't contributed much, made a few soft plays in his own zone last night, but Begin hasn't been a factor either. I agree with Mike8 as to why, but the fact remains.
I think Begin's still made a few good hits and been stronger on the PK. Murray's PK play has not been strong. It was very strong last season. This year, he's failed clearing attempts, been sluggish to get into shooting lanes and hasn't dropped down to block shots as eagerly as he did last year. In my view, he has been the team's worst PKer--behind Kovalev even.

I like Murray, but he's been a liability to date. Begin has too, for the reasons davedave cited: 5-on-5, Begin is exposed defensively, but at least he's attempted to provide some energy at times.

What baffles me is that Begin was good at C in the past. Remember when he played some C up against Thornton in the playoffs? He was a real pest. Took out Nylander, I believe, with a major hit too. I suppose in the few instances where Begin was effective as a C, he had a guy like Sundstrom on his wing; someone who played high, played the cerebral defensive game. Instead of having a guy like that on his wing, who can stabilize him like Bonk did last year, he's got to worry about a 19-year-old kid that he's supposed to take under his wing...

Too much responsibility for a fairly limited player.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote