View Single Post
Old
07-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Panda Bear

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
While the Perron trade was great, he's a lot like the other players in our top six. Last season the problem in our top 6 wasn't lack of skill, it was possession and SOG. MacT didn't really address the problem through a vacant LW spot or apparently Gagner's place as 2C; it's still a homogeneous top 6.
The Hall-RNH-Eberle line had fantastic possession numbers. They didn't take enough shots, which they recognized as an issue, but that could be a byproduct of them not cashing in on enough gilt-edged chances early on last season leading to shot hesitation.

If Perron is as good at driving possession as the numbers suggest he is, then a second line of Perron-Gagner-Yakupov should be able to have good possession numbers as well after they get used to playing with each other. Perron is great at holding on to the puck and is quite willing to shoot, and I can see a sophomore Yakupov releasing the puck a lot more frequently.

I'm more interested to see how Eakins' systems will affect the team. How the team sets up on the forecheck, collapses in the neutral zone and positions themselves in the defensize zone is crucial for puck possession. Are we going to take an aggressive across all zones approach like Chicago? Will we actually have a real breakout strategy?

I'm hoping that our improved defensive corps where each pairing has at least one capable puckmover will allow us to retain possession better.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote