View Single Post
Old
07-15-2013, 02:14 PM
optimus2861

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
In '88 Stephane Richer was superb in the playoffs and was killing the Bruins in the first game or two. Michael Thelvin (however you spell it) slashed him and broke his thumb. That was it for our offense.
Jeez, I'd forgotten that. That was friggin' dirty, but it worked. Boston broke their, what was it, forty year losing streak to us? Then whooped us three more times in the next four years for good measure

Quote:
In '90-'92 Roy really sucked in the playoffs. I remember (I think it was Cam Neely) shooting from center ice and having it go in. Harry Sinden started making little jabs here and there when a player wasn't playing well that he was playing like "Roy does in the playoffs."
I think that was 91? And either Neely or Bourque put a long stinker past him in game 7 in 94, too. In 92 the Habs had clearly had enough of Pat Burns and mailed in that sweep.

The Habs were certainly a good team in that 86-93 period, but the Bruins hit a peak in 88, reaching the final twice in three years (falling both times to the Oilers) and having that awful run of beating us four times in five years. If we could've ever gotten past them in that span, the Gretzky Oilers or Lemieux Penguins awaited down the line. I'm not sure another Cup was winnable in that time period.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote