View Single Post
Old
07-15-2013, 11:17 PM
PredsV82
Cotton Candy!

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So after doing a little research I put this chart together from the players we signed to comparable guys for games played and points per game to gauge the value of these players. I could've gone deeper and done more statistical analysis but I find the PPG value to be pretty fair and while it's certainly not perfect, it does shed some light on our signings.

I think Stalberg's salary fits in perfectly to what guys normally get paid for his type of production. He was a steal the last two years for what Chicago was paying him.

Cullen is pretty much in the ball park as well. 2011/12 he was a little high with what others around him got but this past season his value was right on the money for what he did. Giving him the same money he received the last 2 years seems like a good move as well.

Hendricks is a little harder to gauge but in 11/12 he was paid what others got paid for similar production. 12/13 the numbers were wider from those players around him and Mitchell was way overpaid for his production level compared to what Hendricks and Emmerton made. Now that being said, he was being paid $825,000 a season. Now that he's going to make $1,850,000 a year that seems like a bit of a stretch to me for intangibles. Not necessarily the best bang for the buck.

Nystrom was a little high in 11/12 compared to those around him but 12/13 his salary was right in line with others around him. Once again, his cap hit is jumping $1 million so to me, are those intangibles that he's bringing to the table worth it? Hard to sit here and say yes using some stats and salaries to compare him with other players.

To sum it up, I think what the author was saying is pretty spot on and while we may not like it, it may not be too far from the truth. Once again, is my analysis complete, nope, but it does shed some light on the subject for me anyway.

And to what Volde was saying about guys being targeted, my understanding was Poile targeted 7 guys and we landed these 4 plus the backup goalie so not sure if he got 5 out of the 7 he wanted or 4 out of 7 plus the goalie but I think Poile did a good job with Stalberg and Cullen but not so much with Nystrom and Hendricks.
good work glenn, thank you.

If Im reading you right, then contrary to what the writer implies, we paid pretty close to "market" for Stalberg and Cullen, and may have overpaid for Nystrom and Hendricks by as much as $1million.

That doesnt sound nearly as dire and awful as HBAPC makes it sound... and not to beat a dead horse but unless that $2 million "overpayment" keeps us from signing someone else, then all that will matter is whether these guys do what we need them to do, which is be better in aggregate than Erat, Spaling, Yip and Halischuk were.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote