View Single Post
Old
07-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Whiskeypete

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
I really think it would be unwise for the Kings to wait until training camp to trade one of their defensemen. Training camp is when GMs try to REDUCE the roster size down to 23; adding players is counter-intuitive to the whole process. Unless the team doing the trade is trading away a roster player, and that opens up a whole new can of worms of what team would trade away a 2nd line lw that the Kings can afford, for the defenseman the Kings don't want to keep?
the GMs are trying to cut down their roster, but there are always a few situations that arise during camps that will create trade partners. someone gets injured, a rookie/young player doesn't perform to expectations to make the big club, etc. there is always the true upgrade over what another team has. LA's d corp has pieces that are an upgrade for many NHL teams to draw from. in all likelihood there will be a handful of teams looking for help on the blueline as they exit camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If they decide to go with 8 defensemen, the Kings would just have to waive one player from their blueline and carry 13 forwards. They could potentially ice this lineup:

Forwards (13):
Kopitar
Brown
Williams
Richards
Carter
Toffoli
Stoll
Frattin
King
Lewis
Clifford
Nolan
Fraser

Defensemen (8):
Doughty
Voynov
Regehr
Mitchell
Greene
Muzzin
Martinez
Schultz

Goalies (2):
Quick
Scrivens
imo there is no way they go back to that cluster of a situation. it was one thing when the organization overall didn't have depth, but that no longer holds true. hell even the LW "black hole" has depth in the cupboard at this point. the only gap imo that exists now is in net.

anyways back to the 13/8 roster. with the possibility of Pearson, Vey and Andy knocking on the door the team cannot afford to just push the kids away. even that one roster spot is key to have them with the club to play a game here and there, not to mention just practicing with the big club.

if Mitchell returns then Ellerby and Schultz are bound for MAN. i wouldn't be surprised if Dean moves one of them for #4-7 pick when he realizes that the big club and a fw MAN d prospects are going to be more valuable than Ellerby and Schultz. again there are a few D prospects that are right there. i don't think they will make the team, but they are close to a call up and should get a game or two just for experience and evolution.

i maintain the D (with Mitchell's return) will come down to a 7 man corp, with AMart and Muzzin battling for the 3rd pairing left position

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote