View Single Post
Old
07-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Sorinth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
I don't get those who say Bergevin screwed up the with the PK bridge contract. Nothing will make me believe that the short contract did not contribute to his Norris trophy winning season.

PK had that extra motivation to prove his doubters wrong, slightly change his attitude to a team first mentality, and to be a leader. If Bergevin gave him the 5,6,7, year big money deal at the time, it would have been an insult to Patches, Price, and others who took the bridge contract and got paid later. It also sets great precedent for the Gallys as well.

Bergevin is trying to instill a team first culture and I am glad that we have a GM who has some balls to do what he thinks is right. PK is going to get paid, and Marc knows he will deserve it, plus the cap will be higher when his salary kicks in so no stressing if PK makes an extra million.
I get that nothing I say will change your mind but PK needed to reign in his exuberance so extra motivation to prove his doubters wrong would probably work against him in that case. It's more likely Markov provided a calming influence for him which allowed him to maintain his focus/discipline more. It's also completely normal for a young player to become a more of a leader and have more of a team first mentality as he ages especially when in your early 20s. Especially since PK had a team first mentality to begin with.

It's laughable that you think Patches and Price would be insulted and as for Galchenyuk if he's a 1st line player by the time he signs his extension he's not going to care whether PK signed a bridge deal or not. He's going to point out all the other players who got long term deals, and if MB doesn't give him one then he'll probably do the same thing PK did and holdout. Do you really want all our young players to feel like they have to holdout to get what they are worth?