View Single Post
Old
07-17-2013, 09:45 AM
The Winter Soldier
NHL PLAYOFFS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Grabovski would have provided nothing for us. I love him as a player and wish he wasnt bought out but he didnt fit anywhere and wouldn't provide us with anything we don't already have. He had no chemistry with Kessel and would not usurp Kadri on the second line. For the role he would've been forced into by default, Bolland is a significant upgrade.

By role or position in the lineup
Clarkson > MacArthur
Bolland > Grabovski
Bernier >>>>> Scrivens
D'amigo or Ashton = Komarov + Frattin

The only downgrade thus far this offseason were the loss of Frattin and Komarov without replacement, everything else was an upgrade. From this point on Nonis' job will be to bolster the blue line (which can happen internally) and find a solid two-way Bergeron-like center.
There are no downgrades from the moves Nonis has made this year IMO. All were significant upgrades , more importantly all bad cap hits are now off the books.

You cannot waste a cent in a 64.3 cap ceiling, and Nonis has pretty much done this.

The only move, and I agree is for a trade for a stay at home Defenceman and to rid ourselves of JM Liles.

I expect Rielly to make the team out of training camp, I believe that's one too many PMD with Gardiner and Rielly being better options than Liles.

Nonis has one move to go, that is to find a #2D partner for Phaneuf next season. I was hoping that would have been Ferrence, but he was snapped up.

A Ferrence, Scuderi type of D man would make the Leafs very dangerous in the Playoffs, the team that was one or 2 players away from upsetting the Bruins. Given that Bozak, Kadri, JVR, Reimer, Gardiner, and Kessel are another year older, I expect this team to keep on getting better under the guidance of Carlyle. This core and team are still ascending, they still haven't reached their potential.

Additions of Clarkson, Bolland, and Bernier will help that process out greatly as will the addition by subtraction of Grabo and Komi.