View Single Post
Old
07-17-2013, 11:09 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I don't struggle with mental illness or depression but I know people that do and that's a pretty insensitive way of looking at it.
Exactly. Depression must be one of the most misunderstood illnesses out there. It's funny that Brule would say that he wouldn't want to take drugs for it, but for some people, it's the only thing that helps. Usually it's a combination of counseling/therapy and medication.

For some people, just getting enough exercise, sleep and eating better will "cure" the symptoms of depression, but obviously the exercise component wasn't working for Brule.

I think it's actually (1) courageous of him to admit this, in professional sports, as Replacement said, and (2) I think it gives teams some idea that if he's dealing with the problem, he might be able to resurrect his career (i.e., it's not that he wasn't interested in hockey or unwilling to put in the effort).

Edit: @aleshemsky83: depression isn't feeling sad all the time - it's the lower threshold for feeling helpless - so something like a broken relationship could keep him sitting in bed, while the rest of us would be hungover and irritable at work.