View Single Post
Old
07-17-2013, 04:10 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I have a habit of thinking long term. Sure he is making less money this year, but next year he will be making a lot more. The fact that MB had the opportunity to make a deal that would help him, and he didn't is what we are all arguing. Look at the contract Duncan Keith has. He is a potential Norris winner every year, he is great defensively, has 2 Stanley Cup rings, etc. He makes 5.5 Million a year. For a team to have a #1 defensemen making so little, helps you bring in other players long-term. Subban could of been on a similar contract.

I get what you are saying, but because it has such a short life (the 2 year deal only gives you one off season of maneuvering space), you end up being handcuffed in the future. If Subban is signed long term last year, than in the future, he will be making 7 Million + but with a cap hit of only 5.75, let's say.

I get the feeling you have a hard time seeing this as a long term investment. Having star players at less than market value is the way best way to try and build a championship team.

Again the player needs to prove that he is worth a long term deal at such a young age. This is not the contract you give to every player that shows promise. Subban has progressed every year and has played at a high level. The way the Habs low balled him, well i am worried it will hurt the team in the long run. But at the same time, I think Subban is a winner and he can put his pride to the side and take a contract that will help the Habs be competitive. I hope.
What is this thought that Subban will be insulted? He'll be making MORE money as soon as next year????