View Single Post
Old
07-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Blue Seat Spartan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
I was too young to remember Leetch's benching in Game 4. Or maybe I wasn't watching the game carefully enough. I'm going to have to go back and watch the video.

Does anyone remember what they were thinking watching that game unfold?

By the way, "the Look" refers to the aura of seriousness that Messier would take on hours before a big performance. Gretzky and Tikkanen mentioned Messier had it a few hours before his Game 5 performance against the Panthers in '97.
I remember reading about it in a biography about Messier in 2000 which also chronicled the lead-up to the bitter contract dispute that saw Messier sign with the Canucks in the summer of '97. I forgot the name of the author for that book (Was it by John Dellapina? I'm still not sure...)

As for 1994, I still have Barry Meisel's "Losing the Edge", and he too mentioned "the Look" and tongue lashing Messier administered to his teammates when they were playing listless at the Coliseum against the Islanders during their late season playoff push in the lockout-shortened season following their Cup win. The Rangers then proceeded push the Isles around "just like they did the year before" to come back and win the game (which I recall was televised on the "NHL on FOX"!).

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote