View Single Post
Old
07-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Same yearly cap hit? Fine with me. 8 years? No way. I just think theres a very very small chance that Callahan is a productive player into his mid 30's. Nothing against him, but his style of play will catch up with him eventually. I'd hate for it to be in the middle of an 8 year contract.
Getzlaf, Perry, Giroux, Letang, Bergeron, Rask and now Brown all got max-term on their contracts. I think it's going to be the going rate to prevent your core pieces from going to free agency. The cap is going to go up, and I'd be willing to bet that by year 3 of his new deal, that cap hit won't be so intimidating.

Unless we see a rookie take a huge leap forward next season, we're going to be in really rough shape up front if we let Callahan walk at the end of his deal. For all of the injury concerns, the guy still plays a huge role in our offense. Are we going to find a 25G/50P winger who can be a top PKer and provide the leadership that he does for less than what Callahan will demand? I highly doubt it.