View Single Post
07-18-2013, 03:17 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Well if that's the case...then so be it. The Habs will have a very valuable asset to trade.

Of course, I don't hope it ends like this. But if it does...what can you do?

But for argument's sake, I don't believe that Subban will hold a grudge over negotiations. It's business, I don't think players/agents/GM's are as emotional as fans when it comes to that kind of stuff.

As long as MB's next contract proposal reflects what he promised Subban when he signed him to that bridge deal, there's no reason for him to hold a grudge.

Of course, if MB tries to stiff him again...then that's on him and Subban will have every right to look at his own options at that point.

But again, ELC's and 2nd contracts are the only time a team has the hammer during negotiations. I don't blame them for taking advantage of it.
If you show faith in him and not force him to sign for the lowest possible amount it's a much less likely that he will want to leave. Why do we want to use a Hammer on our good players, it makes more sense to build up loyalty so we can get hometown discounts when they are in their prime.

Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Really? If it's that easy to predict, you must have predicted that the Habs won the division ahead of the Bruins and finished 2nd in the conference, right?

And you're forgetting one (important) part of Bergevin's quote: Building through draft AND trades.

Yep. Just like people were saying the same about Tomas Plekanec going to arbitration. Funny how that works, isn't it?
If your plan is to build through the draft regardless of the team's success you don't need to near the salary ceiling and therefore cap space isn't a problem. That's why you can predict not needing it right away. The 2nd place finish hasn't changed MB's plans in anyway which means we would have cap space. And not that it matters but I was expecting us to be in the playoffs by a comfortable margin, and if I knew Markov would be healthy and productive I would expect a neck and neck race for the division with Boston.

When did Plekanec go to arbitration? He may have filed but I don't think he ever actually went.