View Single Post
Old
07-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
You are making an incorrect generalization - lots of bottom line players in the NHL weren't ppg players in the OHL - even some top six players who play a robust style. You are putting much too emphasis on points. 53 points as an OHL rookie isn't a red flag..it was Biggs' lack of toughness that was the main red flag for me.

Bickell scored 55 points the year after he was drafted, and 53 in his final junior year. Clarkson wasn't close to being a ppg player (39 points at Mac's age, 54 at age 19), Neil scored 55 points at Mac's age, and he was a second-year player. Andrew Shaw had 36 and 54 points his last two junior seasons.

Your assertion is simply not factual.
Keep an eye on the games played. 50 in 41 games. By the time Clarkson was finished with the OHL he was at 54 in 51. Neil was almost a ppg with 55 in 59 at 18, was 72 in 66 at 19.

I'll also note that Clarkson was a very late bloomer in terms of having any kind of NHL production. And if people are talking about a guy that can ride shotgun on a scoring line, we're talking about a higher class of player than Neil.

Shaw, I'll spot you, but he's hardly an established player.

So when I'm saying I'd like to see better than 20/60 in the OHL, I'm talking on a full season basis. Shave off games and shave off point expectations as well.

But I'll conceed weak production for McCarron somewhat over stated the case. I was thinking more along the lines of what kind of scoring a top six winger (which a lot of people are hoping on him to be) does at 18 in the CHL which is a bit different than the comparables being brought up. If we're talking about a guy that consistently gets 15+ goals (not just a career season) at the NHL level, that kind of player tends to score a lot in their last couple junior seasons.

You can also find some lower level junior scorers that do make it, but check what guys like Ryan White, Armstrong, Paille, Campbell, McClement to pick some bottom sixers from the division did in junior. They scored quite a bit.

Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 07-18-2013 at 08:03 PM.