View Single Post
Old
07-18-2013, 08:06 PM
habsfanatics*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Hypothetical...If MB were to sign Subban to a 8yr 52M deal today (6.5M annually).

Would the bridge contract he gave him still be looked to as a mistake by those who are so against that bridge deal?
Yes, MB was gift wrapped a number one, 23 year old dman who wanted to sign here long term. A 23 year old player who has shown an unimaginable continuous learning curve and constant improvement. PK was one of the best spoken and well presented players during the entire lockout. Never took shots at Bettman, owners or anyone. His charity work is outstanding. He's a class act who wanted to be here, not often you can say that a number 1 dman wants to wear the CH. He's proven he has the personality to withstand the pressure and he always steps up his play in big games.

No one knows what the actual difference in dollars will be. I'm guessing PK was looking for around 5.5, so 6.5 would still mean we're spending 1million more on a player that we shouldn't be, but money aside, the 1-2 million over payment that will likely ensue isn't even the issue with me. To me, it puts serious questions in MB ability to judge talent and players. PK was about as sure bet as they come. Sure some bust, but if there was ever a player to bet the house on it's PK Subban.

Quite frankly, I don't get the personality concerns at all and if MB got word from the previous regime and based his decision on that? Why the hell would you ever follow the advice of the previous group that was let go due to incompetence? MT didn't handle his end of the deal any better. PK's handling this year was a huge failure imo. He succeeded in spite of his coach and GM, not because of them. He's that damn good.

What should have been MB easiest decisions turned out to be a bit of a joke.