View Single Post
Old
07-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Not trying to loop everyone in together...but again, GM's/Owners have a limited window in which they can control player salaries. What's wrong with taking advantage of that?

I like the thought of the Habs eating most of Subban's prime UFA years with his upcoming deal. While the long term contract so many are in favor of that could of been offered last January seems like good practice on the surface. I really don't think it's the best thing for the team in terms of controlling the salary costs.

But again, this is just my opinion...I really don't know enough about the salary cap and the ins and outs of it to really say for sure and I don't think any of us really do.
Nothing wrong with it, it's just that historically bridge contracts have not been great for the Habs. Other than Pacioretty (who I honestly think took a legitimate 'home town' discount), the others ended up costing us more long term (Price, Gorges, Plekanec )

Not a huge discrepancy in price, but obviously there's an advantage to signing lower term deals when the situation arises.

There are many more examples of a long term contract coming out of an ELC working (Kane, Toews for example) than it not working (Myers). Personally I put Subban with the Kane's and Toews' of the world, and not the Myers. There was really no "risk" in terms of his on ice production, I think we all knew Subban was a top tier d-man, even before his Norris campaign. The numbers prove it.

Controlling their UFA years is also a big deal, but it's not as if the option to extend Subban disappeared. If he would have signed that long term contract coming off his ELC, we would still have a great chance to extend him, kinda like most teams do with their star UFA's.

And of course this is all our opinion. It goes without saying.

99% of what has been said in this thread is based purely on opinions, and there's obviously nothing wrong with opining about a Habs player, especially on a Habs board.

It's good that most of us are not speaking in absolutes.