View Single Post
Old
07-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Personally, I am not entirely clear on what Bergevin's plan is. His narratives to the media indicates one thing, but I find that his moves indicate another

Bergevin at this point looks like he's a GM who struggling with balancing his ideology of character, drafting and cap crunching with the fact that the Canadiens are not a bottom dweller, but rather a team which can be competitive with a few shrewd moves.

I think it's too early to tell right now. We can judge individual moves, but the whole picture is still fuzzy and nebulous because he's only been with the team a year.
I think you hit it right on the head here Andy. The fact that we went from a bottom dweller to a playoff contender so quickly, has got to have made things a bit more difficult for Bergevin. Or at the very least, has caused him to alter his original plans.

I still see Bergevin going with his initial plan (building through the draft). But now due to different circumstances, he's altered that a bit, and started to look more to the present, example signing Briere. Something I couldn't see him doing if we would have missed the playoffs again this season.

I can't see any block buster trades in the near future. Since I don't believe we're quite ready to do what the Kings, Blackhawks, or even the Penguins have done recently. Though like you said, Bergevin has only been in charge for a year. So it's still way too early to try and predict what the big picture will look like.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote