View Single Post
Old
07-19-2013, 02:21 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
The 2010 draft for me was a success. We got 3 NHL players. Not only that, but 3 players that look to have an important role on our team for years. Could we have hoped for better? Yeah. Is Gudbranson going to become one of the best #3 overalls in recent history? Likely not. But I think they all fill an important need in their own way. And they all represent the size, speed, skill, and character that Tallon wants.
Important? Yet to be determined, but plausible.

Quote:
The 2010 draft was an identity building draft. Brickley is another big, tough, speedy forward. He'll probably only be a 4th liner if he makes it, and he's had setbacks with injuries too, but he'd be a nasty 4th liner with good speed and would fill a toughness role. McFarland is another forward in the Tallon mold, although he looks like a complete bust now. But it was a boom/bust pick. Had to figure there'd be at least one of those with all the picks we had. But it also makes me wary of boom/bust selections that high now. My preference is for boom/bust players to be taken in rounds 3-7. Where the likelihood of selecting an NHL player in that range in small anyhow. So why not make boom/bust selections there.
I thoroughly disagree that it is an identity builder. What identity has been built? Only 1 player from the draft has played a full NHL season. Seems a bizarre claim. If you're saying it was a builder in the sense that it sets the tone for what Tallon looks for, sure, but seems slightly irrelevant when discussing the merit of this draft on it's own.

Brickely is a write-off. If he becomes an NHL player, it's years away, and it's in a role which has very high turn over and a large pool to choose from.

I don't like the generic term boom/bust anymore. It completely negates any critical analysis of a player and his personality. If you want to select a player, or title him with DND, then have reasoning behind it, not some semantic and cliched tag like boom/bust. It's just a tag fans without enough information use.

Quote:
Petrovic looks like a great pick. Basaraba is an OK college player, but likely not an NHLer. He could potentially be a regular in San Antonio though when his college career is over. I admit not the greatest pick, but perhaps he could still play a role in our organization as an AHL power forward that helps out our kids. I still have faith in Brittain. He had his starting job taken away last season, but it was by an outstanding goalie who has already signed an NHL contract with the Jets. This upcoming season is obviously probably the most important of his career. We'll have a better grasp of where he stands in a year.
Petrovic is promising indeed. Will be interesting to track his progression in the NHL.

Basabara can again like Brickely, be written off. If he makes it, it's years away in a role with high turn over. It's of little to no impact to an NHL squad.

Brittain has qualities, but is so far away. Missing 2 years of development in this position is really unfortunate. The odds are against him.

Quote:
The rest of the picks are what you'd expect from late round picks. Not much. Although it wouldn't be accurate to say we never have any success with late round picks. Gaiduchenko is a starter in the KHL(even though he'll never play for us). Wade Megan looks like a potential player for us 4 years after his draft, and was an above average college player. He'll definitely be with San Antonio for at least a few years, and then we'll assess after that. Corban Knight was a 5th round pick, also.
It would be entitely accurate to say we haven't had much success. I'm not going to find the brief study i did (it's available via search if you want) but i can assure you Panther drafts (and the later rounds) have seen an absolutely abysmal return.

If we teniously include 2009, the best picks outside the 1st round (which itself has been a "interesting") since 2000 are Kamil Kreps, Ivan Majesky (GMs not with florida), Greg Campbell, Evgeny Dadonov, Michal Repik, David Booth and Drew Shore. Booth comfortably the best and Campbell the only other certified durable NHL'er.

Gayduchenko is emerging now as a KHL starter. He's not an NHL player now and needs further development to realistically become NHL quality. Clutching at straws.

Wade Megan has 13 professional games. Far too early to call, and if that is the measurement of late round success .... i'm sorry, what happened saturday night, because I GOT ********* HAMMERED.

Knight is promising. Well be interesting to see how his career develops in Calgary.