View Single Post
Old
07-20-2013, 08:02 AM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
After one year, Bergevin's become the preacher of slow rebuilds, solid draft picks, safe trades and cautious contracts. Blockbuster deals and "Free-Agent Frenzy"? No thanks, we're on a strict diet. Well… maybe just a little nibble of Prust and a mini Briere brioche, but not too much or too long or it goes straight to our hips.

Bergevin took a franchise that was stuffing its belly with fatty contracts and stop-gap 30-year-olds, and turned it into a prudent, cap-conscious, youth-obsessed team of calorie-counters. In a red-meat league, we've become the vegetarians. During the trade deadline, draft day and free agency, while so many teams were dealing like drunken sailors, Montreal was the designated driver.

So we've trimmed the fat and look ten years younger. But now that the Habs are looking healthier, are we in danger of being TOO conservative? Nobody wants to go back to the days when we got hustled for assets, draft picks and cash, but are we afraid to make the bold move that separates real contenders from merely good teams? Look at most other Cup-winners and you see a balance of caution and balls. LA built much of its core through great draft picks, but then made two major deals trading big assets for Carter and Richards. Boston has spent big money on Chara and thrown the dice big-time dealing assets to get Rask and Seguin, and now Eriksson. Even Chicago, with the best group of draftees in the league, purchased big UFA, Marian Hossa.

The question is: What's the best balance of caution and balls for the Habs? Right now, I see a lot of caution, little balls. Bergevin says he's building through the draft, yet he was unwilling to do what it took to trade up for a higher pick. He says we need size, but hasn't been willing (so far) to part with assets to fill that gap. Make no mistake -- I'm not talking about throwing stupid contracts at mid-tier players, I'm talking about targeting a high-end need and doing whatever it takes to get him. Our strong prospect pool doesn't include a Drouin, Kane or Toews, nor do we have a wealth of 1st-line talent soon to explode like Edmonton. Our core and upcoming youth are good, but not elite. If we want a Stanley Cup, we'll need to trade or purchase a superior game-changing player or two.

Maybe the prices have all been too high. Maybe key players are already in discussion. I'm patient for now. But I expect to start seeing some ballsy moves between September and next trade deadline. Package some roster players, spend some serious money, I don't care. At some point, Bergevin will have to stop saying, "Thanks, we're good!" or "I tried", and start saying, "What will it take?".
good post here are my thoughts

it has nothing to do with balls or caution , this is what a good GM should do

first understand where are you in this food chain called the NHL

what r u ? pretender ? contender ? cap hell ? total rebuild ? etc...

then decide what you need to do to get to contender status , thats thats the end end game her competing for a cup

but the problem with this regime over 20 years

ITS BANDAID AFTER PATCH AFTER BANDAID WITH NO PLAN

so if you are the Habs of the last 10 years these moronic signings like Cammie, Gio , etc... will not and have not worked cause we lack one element all contenders have

A DEVELOPED CORE OF 5-6 PLAYERS THAT ARE YOUR LEADERS

look at the last 3 cup winners , all have the same thing a CORE

so once MB figures out what he has you decide your blueprint to move forward

BUT THE KEY IS , THE PIECES MUST BE FIT A TEAM STRUCTURE AND ROLE

and this the most important point in this thread

so if you dont have he core DONT FORCE ONE AND BE STUPID

look at the Blues patiently building a good team , have many assets and are one true #1 center away from the next level , BUT THEY ARENT SIGNING dd`S to four years and regret it 2 months down the road

folks there is only 1 Sid, Malkin, Stamkos , and tanking isnt the option

But MB dont be stupid , many pieces you have dont FIT A STRUCTURE

our so called core on paper is good , BUT CAN IT WIN and we dont have more than 2 years to really decide if PK , PRICE , MAX, GALCHY , GALLAGHER , and ELLER
is indeed our core

SO THIS IS WHERE THE BALLS COMES IN , IF THIS CORE ISNT RIGHT THEN GET AHEAD OF THE CURVE AND MAKE A BIG DEAL TO GET A POSSIBLE CORE PIECE
involving a few kids who have value

this is what Chiarelli does best , identifies the now , and the future and doenst give a S H I T and make the timely moves

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote