View Single Post
Old
07-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Which of those young skilled wingers and dmen have proven anything and which have enough trade value to get big time players in return?
We have a winning, playoff team. By definition, that means there are plenty of good players with excellent value. Let's rope off our untouchable guys, Subban, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Price, maybe Tinordi and Beaulieu, depending how they develop. The rest are 'touchable', given the right return. And yes, I think there's enough trade bait there to attract any GM.

I'm as guilty as anyone of getting attached to our roster, but the reality is that having balls means accepting that getting a big asset requires trading away a big asset in return. Sure, if our prospects develop brilliantly then we're good to go with some minor tweaks. But realistically, even with a good core and good prospects, we'll need to acquire someone from outside to become great. And when we do, I hope we get the right guy, not just the guy who's available. That takes either a load of cash for a big UFA or a major trade involving some of our favourite players.

It'll hurt, it'll cause some major arguments, it'll be a huge risk. But the willingness to take those risks is what separates the men from the boys, and the 1st-round teams from the Cup champions.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote