View Single Post
Old
07-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
"lowballing" Subban was never about his quality as a playrr. It was about MB's following his doctrine of bridge contract.

It might bite us in some cases (Subban) and it might save us Myer-like situation. Either way, breaking the doctrine will always leave the possibility for future RFA to compare themselves with Subban.

If you create a precedent, you open the door to mind games. If you make sure everyone has the same treatment, no one should take it personal.

Creating an all encompassing strategy, without taking in account the skill level of certain players is fairly foolish.

This is business. If a player isn't good enough to deserve a long term contract out of his ELC, that's his problem. If he takes it personally, he's probably not going to survive in this league.

However, simply assuming that the bridge contract is the best way to go, no matter what, is really a weird concept IMO.

Most players that sign long term out of their ELC and that are elite like Subban, turn out fine.

There's always the Myers example, but I'd say (and I know I am not using this idiom properly) it's the exception that proves the rule. That and Myers is not on the level of the Subbans, Toews' and Kanes of the world.

It's not like Chicago, the very successful franchise in recent years where we poached Bergevin from, adheres to this rule.

Last edited by Dr Gonzo: 07-21-2013 at 11:19 AM.